Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery
At our center, we believe weight loss is a journey, not a onetime destination reached after surgery. The way we
see it, the surgery is just the beginning. Our dedicated team consists of internationally renowned faculty
with vast experience in performing even the most complex surgeries with ease. Combined, that translates
into over 30 years of experience with the scalpel. Accredited methods of management and care,
nutritional counseling before and after surgery, interdisciplinary expertise to take care of the associated
illnesses, support groups to keep your motivation levels high, continual support throughout the programme
ensure optimal results. With a reputed centre such as ours at the helm, you are in the best of hands.
Q.What are the obesity treatments and services available at Shree Multispeciality Hospital,Kharadi ?
All Services regarding weight loss provided under one roof :
- Advice from expert Bariatric surgeons
- Medical nutrition therapy by consultant nutritionist
- Medical Treatments
- Endocrinological Evaluation
- Intragastric Balloon
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Laparoscopic mini gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic Bilio-pancreatic Diversion-Duodenal Switch
- Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication
- State of the art operation theatre
- 24×7 Emergency services
- Affordable surgical packages
Most commonly performed Bariatric surgery procedures
1. ) Endoscopic Intragastric Balloon(EIB):
The balloon partially fills the stomach and limits food intake
The procedure does not require surgery and is done in a day-care setting.The
balloon is generally removed after a maximum of six months.
1. In borderline obesity patients who are not able to loose weight by diet and any exercise regimens.
2. In adolescent pre-morbid patients.
3. Patients who are high -risk candidates for surgery.
4. No medications/No surgery and Less expensive.
Though these disadvantages are rare
1. The procedure is only for 6months.
2. Some patients do not tolerate restrictive procedures.
3. Nausea and vomiting, especially in the beginning.
2. LAPAROSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY:
The Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is performed by removing approximately 80 percent of the stomach.
The remaining stomach is a tubular pouch that resembles a banana.
The sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive procedure, meaning it limits the amount a person can consume at one time.
The person takes in fewer calories, thus resulting in weight loss.
1. Restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold
2. Induces rapid and significant weight loss.
3. Lowering blood sugar, Reducing the dosage and type of medication required.
4. Requires no foreign objects (Adjustable Gastric Band),and no bypass or re-routing of food stream
(Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass)
5. Involves a relatively short hospital stay of approximately 2-3days.
6. Causes favorable changes in gut hormones that suppress hunger, reduce appetite and improve satiety.
1.It is a non-reversible procedure.
3. MINI GASTRIC BYPASS (MGB):
Mini -gastric bypass is a quicker operation compared to traditional laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery.
It works both by restricting the amount of food that can be eaten at any one time, and by altering gut hormones
involved in appetite control.
1. Shorter operating time.
2. Less re-routing of the intestines.
3. One fewer anastomosis(connections of intestines),which in theory means less chance of a complication.
4. Technically easier for the surgeon.
5. Similar weight loss and recovery
1.Patients can have acid-reflux.
4. LAPAROSCOPIC Roux-en-Y gastric bypass(RYGB)
In this procedure ,a small stomach pouch is created and section of the small intestine is directly attached to the
pouch.This allows food to bypass a portion of the small intestine by creating a smaller stomach pouch.A gastric
bypass limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one times you feel full sooner and stay
1.Produces significant long-term weight loss (60-80 percent excess weight loss)
2. Restricts the amount of food that can be consumed.
3. May lead to conditions that increase energy expenditure.
4. Produces favorable changes in gut hormones that reduce appetite and enhance satiety.
5. Typical maintenance of >50% excess weight loss.
1.Produces favorable ranges in gut hormones that reduce appetite and enhance satiety.
2. Generally has a longer hospital stay than the AGB.
3. Requires adherence to dietary recommendations.
Q. Find out if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery ?
You could be a candidate for surgery if you meet at least one of the following criteria:
1. Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of atlas 37.5(For Indian and Asian population)
2. Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of atlas 32.5 with one or more serious obesity related conditions.
Information of our Specialty team:
1) Bariatric Surgeons
Dr. Sushil Deshmukh
Dr. Sudhir Jadhav
2) Bariatric Physician:
Dr. Vichar Nigam
3) Bariatric Nutritionist and Dietician:
4) Bariatric Fitness Consultant:
Dr. Parul Thakur